Lynda’s Funeral

Shortly after Lynda died on Thursday the 6th of July, a major thunderstorm rolled in that rocked Auckland for the rest of the day. As her son-in-law Joseph was tucking his kids in that night, both frightened by the storm, he muttered “Move along Lynda, please!”. But it rained heavily for days.

Monday, however, was a glorious sunny winters day. The funeral at Landsendt in Oratia was beautiful, the speeches were fantastic, and the weather held for the most part.

It was a fitting send off for Lynda. She would have loved it.

If anyone has any other nice photos, please email them through to me and I’ll add them below.

And please, feel free to add a comment to the board below – whether you were there or not.

The wreath made from foliage from McEntee Road, with a message from each grandchild

The Grandkids



Memorial articles to Lynda

There have been some lovely memorial articles in the two main national news sites.

The New Zealand Herald

And she was mentioned on the 9pm news on the National Program on Friday 7th of July (skip forward to 3m 40s)

NZ Doctor

Lynda 11-03-1950 to 06-07-2017

Mum died at 1:24pm today at home surrounded by all her 5 children.

A celebration of her life will be held @ 1pm on Monday 10th of July, at Landsendt, 108 Parker Road, Oratia.

All are welcome. Bangles may be worn.

The venue at Landsendt is outdoors, so please dress warmly.

Lynda at home

It’s eldest son Luke here with an update on Mum’s condition.

It has now been 2 weeks since Mum left the hospice and came home. The hospice staff did a great job in sorting out her meds, so she has been pain free for the past few weeks. While she is fairly comfortable in her new downstairs bedroom with heat-pump and fancy pneumatic bed, unfortunately her appetite has not returned.

Her support team realised that round the clock care is now required, so we’ve been ensuring there is someone here at all times. And in the past few days we’ve also enlisted a professional carer (carefully selected by Mum) to help out.

Mum has had some really great days over the past few weeks, particularly last Thursday when she had Ruth, Betsy and Barbara here reminiscing over old times. It was a clear winters day, and her new bedroom was bathed in morning sunshine while she was surrounded by friends, family, conversations and birdsong. It is clear she is still able to have a high quality of life at the end, thanks to her wonderful network of friends & family.